We are big pizza fans around here and we love to make our own; so pepperoni, sauce and mozzarella cheese are refrigerator staples in our home.
I was inspired to make these pepperoni bites one day as I cleaned up after pizza night. Jax had haphazardly put her own toppings on her pizza and a few errant pepperoni rounds didn’t make it on to the pie, instead they crisped up on the pan and had turned into delicious little discs of browned, crispy pepperoni goodness. I couldn’t resist them and decided I was going to make pepperoni chips the next day.
Originally I thought about dipping the pepperoni chips into warmed pizza sauce, but you can’t forget the cheese so I decided to make these. They turned out fabulous and we couldn’t stop eating them. All the best elements of pizza in one bite-sized morsel.
These are great for snacking and I think they are best at room temperature.
- 1 package pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dried oregano or Italian seasoning to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pepperoni slices on a baking sheet in one single layer. Do not overlap them.
- Bake until crispy and edges start to brown. About 12-15 minutes.
- Leave the pepperonis on the baking sheet and use a paper towel dab any excess oil off the pepperoni chips. *careful not to burn yourself on hot pan.
- Dab 1/2 teaspoon of pizza sauce on to each pepperoni chip.
- Sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese onto each pepperoni chip.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle tops of pepperoni bites with dried seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!