For years and years I have been in love with and stayed true to Martha Stewart’s Best Banana Bread recipe. It’s everything a good banana bread should be — moist, rich in banana flavor and delicious enough to proudly gift to friends and family.
Then one day I had a bunch of spotty, soft bananas withering away on the counter. So I pulled up Martha’s recipe and began pulling out all the ingredients, only to realize I didn’t have sour cream. Sour cream is what makes her recipe stand out above others, it gives the bread great texture and balances the sweetness of the bananas. Upon further inspection of my fridge’s contents I discovered a couple containers of Chobani Flip yogurts in Chocolate Haze Craze and decided to get creative. Not knowing how it would turn out, I subbed the flavored yogurts, mix-ins and all, for the sour cream, hoping for the best.
And guess what?! It worked! My banana bread was better than Martha Stewart’s Best Banana Bread. It had better texture, better flavor, it was just all around better.
I tweaked it more the next few times I made it. I used brown sugar instead of white, I cut back on the flour and added oats and since I was using hazelnut yogurt I decided to include a chocolate hazelnut center. Every change and addition made it better than before until it morphed into Banana Hazelnut Oat Bread with a Chocolate Hazelnut Center.
It’s amazing. And I am sharing it with you! Enjoy.
Tip: I prefer to use super ripe, almost completely black bananas that are mushy and seeping. It may sound gross but they give the best taste in banana bread. Don’t use moldy bananas but black, squishy ones are just fine. Toss spotty bananas in the fridge for a day and the next day it will be perfect.
Banana Hazelnut Oat Bread with Chocolate Hazelnut Center
(Makes 2 loaves)
- 1 Cup Very Ripe Mashed Bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar (light or dark)
- 2 Containers Chocolate Haze Craze Chobani Flip Yogurt
- 2 Large Eggs, cracked and beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Quick Cook Oats
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread,
- 4 TBS Butter. softened
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Spray two loaf tins generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla together using a hand mixer or in stand mixer using paddle attachment.
- Mix flour, baking powder, oats, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add to the butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add the mashed bananas, eggs and yogurt and mix until well blended.
- Pour 1/4 of the batter into loaf tin, then tap the loaf tin on the counter to settle and evenly distribute.
- Using a spoon dollop half the hazelnut chocolate spread into the center of the batter and spread it out so it reaches both ends of the loaf tin. It does not have to cover the batter, you just want it in the center going from end to end.
- Pour 1/4 of the batter over the top and spread it out to over the hazelnut center. Give it another tap on the counter to settle and distribute.
- Repeat steps 5-7 in the second loaf tin.
- Put both loaf tins on the top rack and bake for 55-60 minutes. Baking time may vary but the bread is done when a toothpick is inserted in the center and only comes out with chocolate hazelnut spread on it.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.