It’s football season, which means means tailgating, potlucks and the need for delicious finger foods! I’ve got you covered with these Bacon Wrapped Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers.
Jalapeño poppers were my inspiration behind these appetizers, but I wanted something with less heat. Mini sweet peppers fit the bill and make the perfect vessel for stuffing with a creamy cheese blend and the Mexican sausage. The spice from the chorizo lends just the right amount of heat so you won’t even miss the burn of the jalapeño.
Note: if you make these according to my directions you will have plenty of extra filling leftover. I did that on purpose. That cheesey chorizo filling is so dang good and makes a perfect dip! So in making this recipe you are actually getting a twofer! Two appetizer dishes in one. Simply transfer the leftover filling to a heat safe bowl and nuke it in the microwave or pop it in the oven for 15 minutes and you’ll even get browned edges – yum! Serve with tortilla chips for a winning dip!
Here’s a video on how to make these tasty pepper poppers!
Bacon Wrapped Chorizo & Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- 1 package mini sweet peppers, washed
- 1 lb. chorizo (pork, beef or chicken)
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12-15 slices of bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet cook chorizo until cook through, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Set aside and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl add chorizo, softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar and combine thoroughly.
- Cut off the tops of each pepper and remove the seeds.
- Using a small spoon, stuff each pepper to the top with the chorizo and cheese mixture. Repeat until all peppers are stuffed.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each pepper, creating a “cap” on the top of the pepper to hold in the stuffing and winding your way down. Place the peppers “seam” side down on a baking sheet. Repeat until all peppers are wrapped in bacon.
- Bake the peppers at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, remove from oven and crank temperature to 400 degrees. Return peppers to oven for additional 15 minutes or until bacon is cooked and browned.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving!