Late last year I had the incredible experience of filming two segments for the TV Show, Creative Living. I’ve been wanting to do more TV and the best part of doing this is one of my dearest, best friends is the host, Jane Monzures.
I have known Jane all of my adult life. I met her when I had just turned 20 years old, young, naive and in awe of her rock-star coolness. She was my boss when I worked in the promotions department of a local radio station. Her larger than life personality kind of took my breath away. I’d never met anyone like her – loud, confident, direct and the prettiest woman I had ever seen in person. She was a whip-cracker, always pushing her team to go above and beyond, even on the smallest of details. To date I count her as one of the strongest influences on my life. Angel, without having met Jane, would be a completely different Angel, of that I am positive.
I love her. And I loved filming this segment with her. I worked on creating a few five ingredient appetizers, perfect for entertaining. They are simple, and delicious made with minimal prep and help from the grocery store.
- Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- Chicken Caesar Salad Crostini
- Pollo Fundido Wontons
- Grilled Cheese Cigars with Tomato Soup Shooters
Check out the segment: https://www.yurview.com/shows/creative-living/holiday-party-ideas/
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs (makes 12)
- 6 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons minced smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon capers and brine
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- dash of salt and pepper
- Separate yolks from whites, set whites aside and add yolks to medium sized mixing bowl
- With a hand mixer mix together yolks, cream cheese and brine from capers until smooth and creamy. If too thick add a little more brine or a bit of water. Consstentchy should be like frosting.
- Once at right consistency add minced salmon and everything bagel seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Put mixture into a gallon sized zip top bag and seal. Move it all to corner.
- Snip off tip of bag and pipe into egg whites.
- Garnish with a bit of salmon and/or caper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Chicken Caesar Salad Crostini (makes 12 crostini)
- 1 ½ cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ cup prepared caesar dressing
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 12 baguette slices
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brush oil on both sides of baguette slices and line on baking sheets.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until slightly golden browned, then flip and bake an additional 3-5 minutes until golden browned.
- While bread is baking, combine chicken, dressing and cheese in a medium mixing bow.
- Dollop a heaping spoonful on each crostini and garnish with parmesan cheese.
**Alternative serving – use lettuce leaves instead of crostini for a lighter bite.
Pollo Fundido Wontons (makes 24 wontons)
- 2 cups shredded Rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ brick softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine first 4 ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Drop a heaping teaspoon full of chicken mixture onto each wonton wrapper.
- Dip finger into water and moisten 2 adjacent edges of wontop wrapper. Folder over diagonally to create a triangular shape. Press edges together to seal.
- Line a baking sheet with the wontons and bake on one side for 5 minues.
- Flip and make on oppostie side additional 3-5 minutes until golden browned.
Grilled Cheese Cigars with Creamy Tomato Soup Shooters (Makes 12 shooters)
- 1 box of store bought tomato soup
- 12 slices of white sandwich bread
- 12 slices American cheee singles
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- Cut crusts of each slice of bread.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten out each slice of bread.
- Generously Butter 1 side of each slice of bread
- Add 1 slice of cheese to non-buttered side and gently roll into a cigar shape.
- Grill on medium low heat until golden brown, roll on pan to brown all sides of sandwich cigar
- Set sandwich cigars aside.
- In large sauce pan simmer tomato soup with the cream and remaining butter. Simmer until hot and bubbly.
- Serve soup in shot glasses with grilled cheese cigars atop.