Spring warmth is in full swing and I have just the thing to keep you cool – my fizzy, sweet and tart Pineapple Mint Refresher.
This vibrant drink is made with fresh pineapple and organic pure cane sugar for added sweetness. The refreshing kick comes from the coolness of the mint, making it the prefect drink to serve at a BBQ, swim party or picnic. It makes a great summer elixir too.
If you’re going to make this drink (and you definitely should) do NOT used canned pineapple. I repeat — DO NOT USE CANNED PINEAPPLE. It will be too sweet and will have a terrible tin-y taste that even the punch of mint can’t mask. Fresh is always the way to go, and be sure you select a pineapple at the peak of ripeness! The use of the pure cane sugar gives this refresher a light sweetness that isn’t overly sugary and cloying.
Psst…you could add a little vodka to the mix if you wanted , I wouldn’t judge. I promise.
The ingredients to imbibe this pineapple potion: fresh pineapple, organic pure cane sugar, fresh mint leaves, seltzer water.
Start off by making your simple syrup.
Add equal parts sugar and water in a small pan and heat low and slow until the sugar is completely dissolved. Do not allow to boil.
Add a few mint leaves to the warm simple syrup and allow them to infuse the liquid. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
Skin and core your pineapple. Check out this video on how to cut and core a pineapple.
Cut the pineapple into large chunks.
Add the pineapple chunks to a blender and give it a good whiz. If your blender has a “smoothie” setting you will want to use that, if not use the highest setting your blender has and blend until entirely smooth. You may need a little water to help things along.
Add the pineapple juice/puree to a pitcher with ice.
Add the mint infused simple syrup to the pitcher.
Add the seltzer to the pitcher.
Give it all a good stir and serve over more ice…and add that vodka if you’re so inclined (but only if you’re of legal drinking age, of course!).
Pineapple Mint Refresher
- 2 Cups Fresh Pineapple, cut in large chunks (about 1/2 a whole pineapple with skin and to removed)
- 1 Cup Organic Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 3 Cups Seltzer Water
- Start off by making the simple by adding the (still) water and the sugar to a small saucepan and heating over low until the sugar dissolves. Do not boil.
- Remove simple syrup from heat and add the mint leaves. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes, allowing the mint to infuse the liquid.
- While syrup cools, cut the top and skin from the pineapple and remove the core.
- Cut the pineapple into large chunks. Note: Two cups will be about half the pineapple. (Save the remainder for smoothies or for a second round of this drink!)
- Add the pineapple chunks to the blender and liquify completely. You can add a little water if needed. You will have a thick, frothy liquid with little to no chunks.
- Add the pineapple juice/puree to a pitcher with ice.
- Add the mint simple syrup to the pitcher.
- Top with the seltzer water and mix.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mmmmm, how tropical and delicious! I totally want to try this. What a beautiful little taste tester you have there!
Wishing you a lovely day.
Hi Jennifer! Thank you. You should definitely try this. Very yummy and refreshing. My little girl couldn’t wait to get a sip while we were doing pictures. She was dancing all around and squealing when we finally got a taste. Thanks for stopping by.