Miss Jax and I had fun creating a Leprechaun house to display during her class St. Patricks Day party.
I will be the first to admit I am NOT particularly crafty and DIY projects give me anxiety, but I did look forward to working on this with her. It was pretty easy to make using about $5 worth of supplies we bought at Target and Hobby Lobby and a few items we had on hand at home. Jax was thrilled with the end result and I was pretty proud of our work.
- Kraft Paper Gable Box from Hobby Lobby – $.99 cents
- Piece of cardboard to use as the base for the house.
- 2 sheets of brick scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby – $.35*/each
- 1 sheet of wood slat scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby – $.35*
- 1 sheet of polka dot green scrapbook paper – $.20*
- Misc. St. Patrick’s Day embellishments from Target’s “Bullseye’s Playground” (we chose shamrock stickers, gold coins and a shamrock garland) – about $3 total
- Green Easter basket filler leftover from years past – FREE
- 1 Green Bendy Straw – FREE
- Glue and Glue Stick
- Sharpie Marker
- 2 toothpicks
*all scrapbook paper is 50 percent off this week at Hobby Lobby.
What to do:
- Cover the cardboard base with glue and attached the Easter grass. Allow to dry.
- Assemble the gable gift box.
- Cut the brick paper to fit all four sides of the gable box and attach using the glue stick.
- Fold the wood slat scrapbook paper in half and adhere with glue stick over the top of the gable box, covering the handles and creating a roof. Trim the excess.
- Cut a small rectangle out of the green paper and use glue stick to attach to the house for the door.
- Using the green door as the guide, cut along 3 sides, top, bottom and one side to create the door.
- Adorn the house with the shamrock stickers or other embellishments.
- Attach the house to the “grassy” base with glue. Allow to dry. It won’t be entirely attached but you can further secure with duct tape.
- Make a small “Leprechauns Welcome” sign and a marquee sign for the roof using the leftover green paper. Attach the welcome sign to the bendy stray and glue it into the yard, tucking it under the grass to help secure it in place. Tape the toothpicks onto either side of the larger sign and poke it through the roof to attach.
- Decorate and embellish the “yard” with gold coins and shamrocks.